Dinosaur BBQ’s Mojito Chicken
Author: Denise Costello
Make a double batch: this marinade will keep for 2 weeks.
- Marinade (use 1 cup for chicken):
- ¼ cup chopped garlic
- 1 Tbs ground black pepper
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 8 pieces chicken
- 1 large onion, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 2 Tbs fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- To make the marinade: Mix the garlic, onions, orange and lime juices in a bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan until just smoking.
- Cover your arms and put on potholder mitts. Slide the contents of the bowl into the hot oil – be very careful because the liquid will spatter.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season the marinade with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour everything into a blender or food processor and pulse 3 times to combine. Pour into a plastic container and cool to room temp; then cover and refrigerate. Will keep for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the chicken: Spread the chicken out in a baking dish and pour the marinade over it. Rub some of the marinade under the skin. Marinate the chicken for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Scatter the onion over the bottom of a roasting pan large enough to hold all pieces of chicken. Place the chicken on top of the onion, skin side up. Cook until chicken juice runs clear or internal temperature is 165-175 degrees, approximately 35-45 minutes.