Thanksgiving is upon us and that means it’s pumpkin-time. Pumpkin is everywhere – lattes, pies, muffins! Although it is a healthy vegetable, giving us vitamin A and C, it is usually paired with sugar and fat, which completely counter all of its goodness! Instead of the traditional pumpkin pie, I was looking for a different way of bringing our good friend the pumpkin to my Thanksgiving table that highlighted all of its nutritional goodness.
Did you realize that a big ol’ slice of Pumpkin pie a la mode with the vanilla ice cream on top can run you up to 900 calories? Never was a big fan of pumpkin pie and this bit of info just seals the deal!
So this year, try Exotic Pumpkin Coconut Soup topped with Savory Pumpkin Seeds instead – not only is it healthy, this recipe brings some different flavors to the table, that are sure to impress your guests! You will look like a culinary star and nobody will have any idea how easy it was to put together this soup, plus the ingredients come right from your pantry.
Check out the health benefits of pumpkin seeds – who knew?
- Fights Depression with L-tryptophan, a natural anti-depressant compound
- Prevent Osteoporosis with zinc, a natural protector against osteoporosis.
- Reduce Inflammation naturally, without side effects.
- Increase Magnesium 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds contains 92% of your daily value of magnesium, a mineral in which most Americans are deficient.
- Lower Bad Cholesterol with phytosterols, compounds that reduce levels of LDL levels.
As you can see, the whole pumpkin packs a nutritional punch – just what we need during our busy season! So pop some seeds into your nut mix, salad or smoothie and you are on your way to a healthy, happy holiday season!
Eat and Enjoy!