GF Stuffing with Celery, Cranberries and Pecans
Author: Denise Costello
This gluten-free stuffing will please all of your guests! It is easily adaptable: cook it in a pan or in the bird, double it if you have a huge crowd. And great the day after in a turkey-potato hash! Makes 12 cups
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 14.5-ounce loaf multi-grain or seed bread, cut into ½-inch pieces (I used Glutino’s Seed Bread, from the freezer section)
- 3 Tbs + 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp fresh basil, chopped, or 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped small
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 1 large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place bread pieces in large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons oil and toss to coat. Spread bread in single layer on prepared sheet. Bake bread until golden, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Cool on sheet. Transfer to very large bowl.
- While bread is toasting, toast pecans: place them in a small oven-proof dish and set in the oven on another shelf. Check after 5 minutes. Remove when the nuts are just becoming brown (they will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven).
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and celery; sauté until vegetables begin to brown and are almost tender, about 15 minutes. Add chopped garlic, thyme, oregano and basil; stir 1 minute. Add dried cranberries and pecans; stir 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread. Season generously with salt and pepper. Mix eggs into stuffing.
- To bake stuffing in turkey:Loosely fill neck and main cavities of turkey with stuffing. Add enough broth to remaining stuffing to moisten slightly (1/4 to ¾ cup, depending on amount of remaining stuffing). Spray 8x8 baking dish. Spoon remaining stuffing into prepared dish. Cover with foil,. Bake stuffing in dish along side turkey until heated through, about 25 minutes. Uncover stuffing. Bake until top of stuffing is slightly crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.
- To bake all of stuffing in baking dish:Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Add enough extra broth to stuffing to moisten (3/4 cup to 1 cup). Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with foil. Bake until heated through, about 30-40 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is slightly crisp and golden, about 15-20 minutes longer.