Super-Quick and Easy Vegetarian Lasagna
Author: Denise Costello
- 16-oz silken firm organic tofu (non-GMO)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1 omega-3 egg
- 8 oz pesto
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 ½ 26-oz jars low-sodium spaghetti sauce (Trader Joe's and Market Basket both have good low-salt options; my fav is RAO’s homemade sauce –little more expensive but worth it)
- 1 8-oz package of Barilla no-boil lasagna noodles
- 4 cups fresh pre-washed organic baby spinach
- 2 cups low-fat mozzarella
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine tofu, ¼ cup Parmesan, eggs, pesto, salt and pepper in a blender and pureé. Place pureé in a medium bowl.
- Lightly coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- Spread about 1 cup of tomato sauce at the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange one layer of noodles on top.
- Spread with half the tofu mixture; top with half of the spinach, a third of the tomato sauce, and a third of the mozzarella. Repeat layers, ending with noodles.
- Top with the tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30-35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Denise's Tricks N' Tips
For a non-vegetarian version, sauté sweet turkey sausage (out of the casing) and add to sauce.