Crock Pot Cuban Braised Beef & Peppers Recipe
Author: Denise Costello
This is a great one for the crock pot & the kids love it. Little do they know, they’re getting a good dose of vitamin C and fiber! Serves 4
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1½ pounds flank steak, cut crosswise into thirds
- 1 cup long-grain white rice or Basmati Brown Rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, oregano, cumin, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle the steak among the vegetables. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Using two forks, shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with the avocado and cilantro.