Indian Lentil - Cauliflower Soup
Author: Denise Costello
I can’t get enough of this soup- super yum!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or other oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1-2 tbsp curry powder, to taste
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 liters vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florets
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach or baby kale
- ¾ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 to 6 minutes, until translucent.
- Stir in the ginger, 1 tablespoon of the curry powder, coriander, and cumin and saute for 2 minutes more, until fragrant.
- Add the broth and red lentils and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the cauliflower and sweet potato. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cauliflower and sweet potato are tender. Season with the salt and pepper, and add more curry powder, if desired. Stir in the spinach or kale and cook until wilted.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with cilantro, if desired.