Red Lentil Kale Soup
Author: Denise Costello
This soup has a little kick of cayenne pepper, good when you are in the recovery mode as it is sure to clear your nose in no time !
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or other oil)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 & ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- ⅛th tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth, more if desired
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls torn kale leaves or spinach
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in oil for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat. Add in the celery and sauté for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the bay leaf and the spices (cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika, cayenne). You can add half the spices and add more later if you prefer.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes (including juice), broth, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes, until lentils are tender and fluffy.
- Stir in kale or spinach and season to taste adding more spices if you wish