Collard Greens and Black-Eyed Peas
Author: Denise Costello
Adapted from Terry Walters. Serves 6
- 1 large bunch collard greens (save time with frozen!)
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- Water as needed
- 1½ cups cooked black-eyed peas (save time with canned or frozen!)
- Dash of apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove dry ends from collard green stems and chop leaves into bite-size pieces. If using frozen, skip to step 2.
- In large Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil until soft. Add collard greens and stir until they turn bright green and wilt. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed, to keep greens from burning.
- Add black-eyed peas and vinegar and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.