Labor Day weekend means it’s the end of summer 🙁 Although it was fantastic, I have to confess that I am looking forward to September. I actually think it’s one of my favorite months – the weather, sense of a fresh start, and the overflowing bounty of fruits and vegetables found at the farmers market.
Right about now, you may be tired of the burger and potato salad scene and ready to try something new. Is the crazy schedule of getting everyone ready for school making it hard to plan for your refreshed Labor Day cookout? Well, my friends, I’ve got you covered! I have chosen some of my favorite summertime recipes that are “on the lighter side” to share with you. Lighter–because if you are like me you are a not looking forward to putting on those jeans again. Can you say “inhale and zip!”
Denise’s Labor Day Menu (click the recipe title to see the full recipe)
- Tabouli Salad with Hemp – a perfect way to use up those tomato and cucumbers
- Roasted Beet Hummus – serve on a cucumber or great in a wrap with spinach, cukes and a sprinkle of goat cheese
- Spinach Salad with Grilled Shrimp and Strawberries – everyone loves this, even the meat eaters!
- Mojito Chicken
- Quinoa Salad with Lemon Dressing – great to bring for lunch, too!
- Peach Arugula Salad
- Tomato Green Bean Salad
- Super Yum Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies – make an extra batch: bake and freeze for a healthy afterschool snack!
- Berries with Lemon Cream Parfait
This month’s focus was on adding more raw foods into your diet. I hope you have tried a few of the recipes or have found other ways to eat more raw foods. To continue with that theme, and to help keep us on the right nutritional track, I will be hosting a Smoothie Challenge next week. So stay tuned and prepare your blender because we are going to mixing up some power smoothies, sure to keep you feeling light and Energized!
Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating the end of the summer with your family and loved ones.